News

Home » News » Police » Candle left in bedroom sparks fire - smoke alarm alerts occupant
 

Candle left in bedroom sparks fire - smoke alarm alerts occupant

A candle left unattended on top of a wardrobe caused a small fire in a house in Tilbury this morning (Thursday 4 January).


firegrays

 

The bedroom has smoke damage and some items on the wardrobe have been destroyed. But thanks to working smoke alarms the occupant was alerted to the fire early and managed to extinguish the fire before it could take hold or spread.

Incident like these show how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home. Smoke alarms give you an early warning of a fire, so you have time to get out, stay out and call the fire service out.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service provide FREE smoke alarms to anyone living in Essex. To arrange a home safety visit call: 0300 303 0088 or book online: www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book

It is also important to take extra care when using candles.

Candles:

  • Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire ‚?? like curtains.
  • Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
  • Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they‚??re put out completely at night.
  • Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
  • Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
  • Trim the wick to ¬? inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
  • Don‚??t move candles once they are lit.
  • Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on burn time and proper use.
  • Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.


  |  
Source: Essex Fire


See also: